As I have mentioned previously I have a toddler and an almost seven month old. I love my kids more than anything in the world. They are my joy and my light, but some days my daughter just acts… like a toddler and my poor baby boy is teething.
My daughter has so much joy, energy and excitement that she gets a bit overzealous and accidentally hurts us or her brother. My son is teething like every seven month old does.
At times like these I turn to my secret weapon, my Calm Kid Tea.
This tea is formulated with gentle and effective herbs that are soothing and calming, especially to kids.
I combine this tea base with cloves as a tea or in a glycerin tincture to help with fussiness associated with teething pain.
Is your child still exclusively breast fed? You can drink the tea and the baby will get the calming benefits without having to try to make them drink the tea.
- Chamomile: Chamomile is calming and helps ease the mind into restful sleep. It is commonly used with upset stomach, teething, emotionally upset, sleepless, has a fever, cold, flu, and pretty much any other problems that might come up.
- Catmint (Catnip): Catnip is commonly used with humans to treat colic, headache, toothache, colds, and spasms. It is a calming nervous tonic and USUALLY will help a person fall asleep.
- Lemon Balm: Lemon Balm is calming, antiviral and antiseptic. It can be used as a mild sedative and is a wonderful solution to bring peace and calm to a child. It is one of the most recommended herbs for teething.
- Stevia Leaf (optional): Stevia leaf, the herb, not the refined junk you can buy in grocery stores, is a natural sweetener and is safe to add in small amounts to make the tea more palatable to children. I add honey to my daughters tea when she is being persnickety, but most of the time she will drink it right up. Children under 1 year old should not have honey so stevia leaf is an option to make it more palatable. My son will drink tea right up without any sweetener so this may not be necessary.
You can purchase this tea from my shop over at Natural Herbal Living
If you would like to make your own calm kid tea you can easily buy the bulk herbs from Mountain Rose Herbs at great prices!
Natural Mamma Calm Kid Tea Recipe
- 1 part Chamomile
- 2 parts Catnip
- 1 part Lemon Balm
- A pinch of stevia or tea spoon of honey to taste.
- Blend herbs in an air tight container to store.
- Use 1tsp herb mixture per cup of boiling water.
- Allow tea to steep at least 20 minutes and up to 8 hours for strongest medicinal effect.
- Drink throughout the day as needed or before nap and bed times. Soak a washcloth in the tea and freeze and allow child to chew on the washcloth for teething.